Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Don't forget to stop and smell the dream roses

Well, I last posted asking about motivation because I was lacking some. I'm happy to say that there has been a nice turnaround. I know my little mantra in the left sidebar mentions not over-obsessing about working out, but it's hard not to! Forget calorie counting; I'm talking about overworking yourself because it's just so darn fun.

I personally prefer to weight lift and do some light cardio after each lifting session. On my off days, I would love to pop into the gym even for just 30-40 mins of ellyptical work. Really, how could doing a bit of cardio every day harm you?

The simple fact is we need rest to recover. We need rest to build muscle. We need rest to be mentally healthy and alert enough to push ourselves just as hard the next time -- especially when we lift weights. Just like with not getting enough calories, not getting enough rest can seriously dampen your results.

I have yet to lose an inch or even a pound, though I can feel myself getting stronger, and I'm already itching to go back to the gym next time. I imagine those of you noticing the benefits have a case of workout addiction much greater than my own.

Just remember... it's not cheating to take a day off. It's not cheating to take two days off. Don't even think about how much you're working out in terms of days. Think of it in weeks or months. Just remember that you're pushing yourself hard every time, and then enjoy the recovery period. Proper sleep = greater improvement. I'm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment