Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ten in 10 - Support for those getting fit + Fitness assessment results


Today I stumbled upon RecipeGirl.com and found a little section called Ten in 10: Ten Weeks to Healthy in 2010.

People in the blogosphere and on Twitter are joining together to support each other for 10 weeks. While goals vary from weight loss to starting a proper diet, the overall theme is to adopt a healthier lifestyle.

Technically, it began on January 2, but I'm hopping on the wagon now since we decided today at my work to all get fit together. In other words, put $50 in the pot. If you meet your goals, you get your money back. If you don't, the money will go to charity. A little incentive never hurt anyone, right?

My goal is to drop 10lbs by May 1. I'd like to lose a bit more (say 15), but I'm hoping I gain some muscle, which would mean dropping less overall weight.

Today I had my fitness assessment at my gym:
  • 154lbs (surprising since I've been 160-165lbs on my parents' scale [I don't own one]; must compare)
  • 24.5% body fat
So I guess my goal is to weigh in at 144lbs on May 1. Ideally it would be 144lbs and 18% body fat, which is around what I was my last year of swimming (first year was a ridiculous 122lbs and 13.5% body fat).

The trainer showed me some proper technique on lat pull downs, etc. It was nice to hear his tips, but there's no way I could ever afford personal training hours. Proper research and more cojones to explore the gym equipment should make sure my goals are achieved -- the weight loss, anyway.

I encourage you to start chatting with those participating in Ten in 10. You can find us using hashtag #10in10 on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment